Sunday, January 23, 2005

Great Expectations

So I've been reading Great Expectations and I'm almost finished. I have past the part where Pip found out that his convict is the one who made him a gentleman. He is upset because he thinks that he's been living in a lie. He is in debt with the convict because the convict has been working in order to create Pip into a gentleman.

I belive that Pip, in a way, should be greatful that the convict has made him who he is. Even though he has been desieved in beliveing that it was Ms. Havisham who did it. I feel sorry for Pip because he loves Estella so much but she does not love him back. She is going to get married to Drummle, the person that Pip despises.

What do you guys think, should Pip forget about Estella and try to repay the convict's good efforts in creating Pip into a gentleman? That is what i believe that Pip should do, but of course the book has been written and i'll have to find that out later.

Mr. Locke what do you think is a better ending, the old ending or the new one?

1 comment:

Neal Locke said...

That's hard to say. When I first read the novel in 9th grade (yes, I read the whole thing) I certainly thought the "happy" ending was better. Since re-reading it several times, I have often wondered what point Dickens was trying to make with the "unhappy" ending. Perhaps this is where his real theme or message is...