Monday, January 24, 2005

Great Expectations

Here's a sentence that i think summarizes what Pip feels about his whole life. "When I woke up in the night like - Camilla - I used to think, with a weariness on my spirits, that i should have been happier and better if i had never seen Miss Havisha's face, and had risen to manhoodcontent to be partners with Joe in the honest old forge." (pg. 302)

I think that Pip has a point because if he had'nt met Miss. Havisham he would have grown updifferently. But i truly believe that no matter if he was a rich person or a poor person he would have still been wishing something in his life would'nt have happened.

" o the many nights and days through which the unquiet spirit within me haunted that housewhen Estella lived there! Let my body be where it would, my spirit was always wandering, wandering, wandering, about that house. (334)
This reminds me of the typicall lovesick teenager, but Pip is'nt a teenager anymore.

" 'It's all right, dear boy!' said Provis coming forward, with hiss little clasped black book, and then addressing himself to Herbert. 'Take it take in your right hand. Lord strike him dead on the spot, if you split in any way sumever. Kiss it!' "(375)
This confused me because Provis hasn't even talked to Herbert and already he's making Herbert take an oath as if he were on trial or something.

" ' I am not a going to tell you short and handy, i'll put it at once into a mouthful of English. In jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail, in jail and out of jail.' "(382)
This has made me wonder what he's been doing all this time that has gotten him in jail so many times. It's very hard to imagine someone in jail so much who has helped someone else become a gentleman or even have money at all.

" ' It seems,' "said Estella very calmly," 'that there are sentiments, fancies----I don't know how to call them----which I am not able to comprehend. When you say you love me, I know what you mean, as a form of words; but nothing more. You address nothingin my breast, you touch nothing there.' " (400)
I would have been heart broken if someone ever told me that.

Anyways that is all I have to say right now. What do you think Mr. Locke was that nice for Estella to clear that out for Pip?

1 comment:

Neal Locke said...

Of course, which is worse: to have a broken heart (Pip), or no heart at all (Estella)? By the end of the novel, Pip's heart seems to have healed considerably. As for Estella's heart (or lack thereof) there seems to be some improvement, but Dicken's still leaves her fate rather ambiguous...